Sunday, July 30, 2006

Mouth of Ronom

This blog post is related to my title, but probably not in the way that you might guess. It's not really a 100% fit, but perhaps you'll still see it...

So in the Coldsnap draft we had over here, I ended up with an okay deck. I opened a first pick Stalking Yeti and then got a second pick Zombie Musher, so I was playing B/R again. :P This time, my deck ended up with a lot of stronger creatures, like said yeti and Rimescale Dragon, but didn't see a single Skred or Surging Flame. I had two Chill to the Bones and a Deathmark to make up for it, but that removal wasn't good enough. Thus, I guess my first draft deck would be more consistently better. It was blast playing with Jian, Kevin, and Kenny for the whole day though, so I can't really complain. Now we can all start calling our Ronom Unicorns "Starshine".

Anyways, after I met with a different group of Mormons this morning, me and Jason almost bumped into another group of them while walking towards Duy's house in the afternoon. Luckily, they didn't aggro us, and we took a detour into the plaza. It seems that the Mormon presence around campus has been growing recently. I dunno, but I'm starting to find it kinda annoying, since they always have to stop you and get you to talk with them, and they can't seem to take "no" as an answer. It's worse if, say, you're on your way to meet a friend for dinner, and you really don't have time for that kind of talk. On the other hand, I would feel bad if I just completely ignored them or lied to them by saying something like "I'm Jewish," so I usually let them say the beginning of their speech first before politely declining their invitation to hear more. I wouldn't mind talking to them when I have the time, but I usually don't really enjoy being stopped by a total stranger when I have some place to go. And it's not like I'm being ignorant of what they're trying to say either, I've done a bit of research about them on the net, and I've met with some Mormon missionaries twice now at Betty's place. I just hope that this recent trend isn't a sign of more things to come. I wonder if there's any easy way to get them to understand that you're not interested at the moment?

(Note: This post was not really meant to be a slight against the Mormon faith, just merely the tactics Mormons use in attempts to try and spread their beliefs. Please don't flame me for this. And yes, I know some Christians do the same kind of things. :P)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

"And yes, I know some Christians do the same kind of things."

Thanks for saying this at some point in your post; I was hoping you would! (It just turned out I had to read up 'till the very end to find it :-P )

-- Silph

Jason Yu said...

"I dunno, but I'm starting to find it kinda annoying..."

I find the proselytising damn fracking annoying. Like, wtf mate? ^^

Theomnifish said...

A well-articluated statement, brother!
(as in, a reference to a character from LOST)

Theomnifish said...

And yeah, Silph, I decided to add that disclaimer to the end, just in case I offended someone. I was just curious though, if you had anything to say about the main part of my post?

Anonymous said...

Wow. Y'all are up late, eh?

ps

*encouragement to post more often, sent in 18 TCP/IP packets! I hope you've opened the port that will listen to my packets!*

Unknown said...

We should have that other draft soon, since I'm not sure what cards you're talking about in your post :P

I think next time you get bugged by these people, just walk away. Just interrupt them and say that you don't have the time. If you start walking, they can't really do anything. It's like hanging up the phone.